Everything to Know About Maskne!
Posted on April 11 2022
To ensure precautions against COVID-19, we’re taking several preventive measures like social distancing, hand-sanitization, and of course, the most important measure, wearing masks in public. Wearing a mask has become a part of our lifestyle even when it causes a lot of discomforts, but one of the worst side effects of wearing masks is maskne.
What is maskne?
Maskne is acne caused by wearing masks for long periods. Face masks don’t allow your skin to breathe or get fresh air and wearing them also causes your skin to sweat and leads to bacterial growth. These bacteria then cause acne or pimples. If you are someone whose mask sits on their face for more than three hours a day then you need to take extra care of your skin to avoid breakouts.
Wearing masks doesn’t only cause acne but also other skin issues like irritation, rashes caused by friction, redness, itching and inflammation. If you also suffer from these conditions don’t worry, you are not alone, in this blog we are going to discuss all the effective ways to treat your skin, so stay with us till the end.
Types of skin conditions caused by regular use of masks:
- Acne: Acne appears when your pores are clogged with oil, dirt, and dead skin cells. Acne can cause skin problems like pimples, whiteheads, or blackheads. You are more likely to develop maskne if you have a history of acne-prone, oily, or combination skin but it can affect anyone of any skin type. It seems to be a common problem among people who use surgical masks every day for hours without a break like essential workers as they can’t perform their duties without wearing one. People who have oily and acne-prone skin have to endure the most pain and irritation caused by wearing masks.
- Allergic contact dermatitis: This skin condition occurs when you’re allergic or sensitive to a particular clothing material, if your mask or face covering is made of the same material it can cause you redness, rashes, inflammation, and skin irritation. It usually affects the nose and cheek area of your face and is one of the most common types of mask allergy. People who have sensitive skin or damaged skin barriers are more likely to suffer from this condition.
- Razor bumps: Also known as Folliculitis, is a kind of hair follicle infection that causes bumps to appear around the hair follicle looking like an acne breakout, it also looks like an inflamed ingrown hair causing pain and itchiness.
- Rosacea: Rosacea is commonly confused with acne. It is a skin disorder that causes redness on the cheeks, forehead, nose, and chin. It is caused by Mask-friction, UV rays, chemical products, or harsh scrubbing causing flare-ups. Rosacea can be effectively treated with a hydrating serum that has healing properties.
- Hives: This can be caused by the downward pressure of some types of masks or by coming in contact with allergens like latex. A common symptom is an itchiness on the skin, urticarial hives usually disappear/heal within a day after the allergen is removed.
- Perioral dermatitis: In this condition, small pimples or bumps develop on the area around the mouth. Tiny bumps can appear while wearing a mask after applying make-up or greasy creams and one of the possible reasons of these bumps could be sweat and oil.
Maskne Causes 101
Various causes can lead a person to develop maskne. Acne and skin rashes can occur due to the friction caused by the repeated rubbing of the mask on your skin and most of the times sweat is trapped under the mask and gets accumulated on top of the skin with humid moisture due to the occlusive environment.
Excess sweating also leads to increased production of oil and sebum which aggravates existing acne or causes new ones due to increased bacterial infection. Heat and sweat make facial skin sensitive, itchy, and dry.
Masks made from thick fabrics and several folds are highly effective but not comfortable for your skin. You can make the choice of wearing comfortable masks when you are not in a contaminated zone and wearing a lighter mask won’t put you in any health trouble.
How to treat maskne skin conditions:
Even if you are not ready to use a mask it cannot always be avoided!
You might find masks uncomfortable but they are still important to protect you from infections and we have to agree that they are doing their job pretty well by protecting everyone from COVID and other infectious diseases.
To prevent and treat acne caused by wearing masks. Dermatologists have suggested many useful and basic ways to treat these skin conditions, some of these ways are:
- Cleansing - You should follow a good skincare routine suitable for your age and skin type to prevent harmful skin problems. It is recommended to cleanse your face gently at least twice a day and not exceed that limit otherwise it can cause dryness. Use a cleanser with no fragrance, preservatives, parabens, SLS, or any other harmful chemicals. Washing your face with hot water is a big no and should be avoided at all times, pat drying with a clean towel is important to avoid any skin sensitivity.
- Moisturizing - People who suffer from acne commonly make the big mistake of avoiding moisturizers which worsen their acne problems and causes dry skin, which is a common issue faced with wearing masks, lack of hydration causes skin dryness and flakiness. A hydrating anti-acne face serum is recommended to people of all skin types to maintain healthy skin.
- Exfoliation - Gentle exfoliation play a vital role in treating acne, it helps shed dead skin cells, clear clogged pores, and removes bacteria from the skin’s surface. It rejuvenates skin and has many benefits like preventing hyperpigmentation, fading acne scars, reducing signs of aging, giving skin a smoother texture, improving cell production, boosting blood circulation, and brightening the skin.
- Anti-acne skincare - Using anti-acne products like clarifying serums, and anti-acne creams helps in normalizing sebum production and reduce excess production. It helps in reducing acne scarring and prevents further breakout, making skin even. Anti-acne products also heal the damaged skin barrier and remove stubborn blackheads which are the root cause of pimples.
Prevention against maskne
As we can’t eliminate masks from our lives considering the current situations, we can however prevent the side effects of using them, so let’s take a look at some prevention tips that can help you to maintain healthy-looking glowing skin.
- Washing masks regularly -
Doctors and health experts highly recommend washing cloth masks regularly to remove pathogens, oils, make-up products, and dead skin cells that may cause any breakouts.
A fragrance-free, hypoallergenic laundry detergent is a good choice to wash face masks, after washing let the mask dry completely and check afterward if the mask still fits properly, continue using the mask only when it fits perfectly and covers your face.
If you use a single-use mask then you should always throw it away safely after one use and avoid reusing it.
- Choosing the right mask -
- Taking a break from wearing a mask every 3 hours -
You should remove your mask for at least 15 minutes after 3 hours of continuously wearing it. Many people have found this method reliable to reduce the symptoms of maskne.
However, removing masks in an unsafe zone is not recommended, only if you are at a safe place and have the liberty to remove it for a short duration you should otherwise you can go to a safe and clean place where you are most likely to be alone and then remove it.
- Avoid applying make-up under masks -
Make-up products such as thick foundations, concealers when applied before wearing a mask can lead to clogged and oily pores. It is advised to choose light makeup products that are non-comedogenic to avoid breakouts.
- Avoid scrubbing, exfoliating, or use of harsh chemicals -
Wearing a mask makes skin more sensitive, to avoid problems like flakiness and dryness one should not exfoliate their skin too often and reduce the use of products that contain harsh chemicals.
- Hydrating skin regularly -
Well-hydrated skin is healthy skin. Healthy skin can heal itself faster and also fights against acne-causing germs. Following a good skincare routine and using serum for face benefits is advised to maintain healthy skin.
5 Benefits of Acne Serums and how they can help you with maskne skin conditions?
When it comes to treating acne with serums, there are a lot of misconceptions. One of them is that serums are only meant for aging skin. The truth is, serums can be beneficial for all skin types. Here are 5 benefits of face serums that you may not have known about:
- Anti-acne face serums can help to unclog pores and prevent blackheads and whiteheads.
- Acne serums can help to reduce inflammation and redness.
- Bet face serum for glowing skin can help to improve the overall texture of the skin.
- Benefits of face serums can help reduce the appearance of scars.
- Face serum for oily skin can be used to treat cystic acne.
Acne Serum is an all-in-one solution for all your acne and maskne problems.
Why You Should Start Using an Acne Serum Today?
If you're like most people, you've probably been struggling with acne for years and now wearing masks has just added up to your struggles. If you've tried every over-the-counter acne treatment, but they've all failed to give you the results you want. It's time to try something new. Start using a natural clarifying acne serum today. Serums are a great way to treat acne because they're packed with powerful ingredients that can get rid of acne quickly. Plus, serums are easy to apply and get absorbed easily. You just need to apply a small amount to your skin and massage it in. Serums are also a great way to keep your skin healthy. They help keep your skin hydrated and can reduce the appearance of wrinkles and other signs of aging too.
3 Simple Steps to Get the Most Benefits Out of Your Acne Serum
There are a few simple steps you can follow to get the most out of your anti-acne face serum.
- First, make sure to apply the serum to a clean face, free of any makeup or oils.
- Secondly, give the serum time to absorb into the skin - typically about 5-7 minutes.
- Finally, follow up with a light moisturizer to help keep the skin hydrated.
The Best Time to Use an Acne Serum
There is no single answer to this question as everyone's skin is different and will respond differently to various treatments. However, in general, using face serum for glowing skin in the morning is a good time to start your day, as it can help to reduce the appearance of blemishes and give you a fresh, clear complexion. Additionally, using an acne serum in the evening can help to soothe and hydrate your skin while you sleep.
General Acne-care tips
- Using sunblock: Wearing an SPF is the key to younger-looking skin, sun protection is important to prevent sun damage and health issues like cancer. If you are frequently in contact with UV rays then using SPF 50 is advised for full protection.
- Protecting your lips: Your lips are more sensitive than the rest of your skin hence they need more care, dry and chapped lips are common maskne signs. You can prevent these problems by using a hydrating balm, using a hydrating lip balm with SPF 30 is highly beneficial for lips.
- Avoiding tanning sessions: Avoid spending time in the sun, even one session without proper sun protection can increase the risk of developing skin cancer.
- Minimizing chemical use: Using products made from natural ingredients is the best way to minimize the risk of skin damage often caused by harmful chemicals.
- Minimize touching your face: Avoid touching your face, as it can transfer germs and dirt from your hands to facial skin and make your skin look dull.
- Consulting a dermatologist: If you suffer from acne and other skin-related problems for a long time then you should consult a dermatologist for expert advice to avoid any further complications.
While masks can cause various skin problems, they are still an important part of preventing the spread of Covid-19. They protect you from exposure to the virus and help to stop the spread of the virus. Masks are necessary for all essential workers so we surely can’t avoid using them but can take all precautions to safeguard our skin from its side effects.
If you found this blog helpful, do share it with someone who might benefit from it, and don’t forget to add Globus Naturals Clarifying Anti-Acne Serum to your skin-care regime to get rid of all your skin problems and keep your skin hydrated and glowing. This hydrating serum is suitable for all skin types and can be used by both men and women. Specially formulated with natural ingredients like aloe vera, lemon, and neem this serum kills acne-causing bacteria without causing any harmful side effects. So put an end to your search for the best face serum for glowing skin and grab your clarifying anti-acne face serum today, once you have tried this serum leave us your valuable feedback to help us serve you better.
Facial kits: the ul...
There's no question that taking care of your skin is important. And while there are a lot of different ways to do that, one of the most important t...Read More
Vitamin C: the beau...
What is Vitamin C? Vitamin C is an essential nutrient found in many foods, including citrus fruits. It is also available in supplement form. Vitami...Read More
Herbal hair conditi...
Herbs are not only great for your health, but they can also promote hair growth. In this blog post, we'll explore some of the best herbs for hair g...Read More